Sunday 29 March 2015

Super Sunday

29th March 2015

As usual, I am starting by apologising for the delay since my last blog, but I'm going to stop apologising. I am not sorry I have a busy life, I am lucky to have it and the energy to cope with it. I am lucky to have four wonderful children and my excellent husband and occasionally some work (I am currently on a career break from my normal job). I am lucky to be happy and contented with my life, I know so many peolle who aren't.

The last week has been wonderful for our family. The boys have all enjoyed school trips and treats before they finished up for Easter, whilst the Princess had a visit from her teacher of the deaf, resulting in her first ever homework!

It would also appear that she heard her name for the first time on 27th March!! We definitely saw a reaction when Daddy called her name during playtime - wonderfully amazing! Of course, every time we try to get a video she ignores us! We are obviously excited about this new milestone, although the weight of our habilitation for Charlotte is hitting home now, bringing with it nerves and pressure that we will do everything that needs done and that we will do it correctly and frequently enough.

Our BSL journey continues as a family, following on from my last blog, we finished our family sign weekend, very happy at what we had learnt and very proud of our eldest son who came into the classroom for the Sunday session - he passed the fingerspelling exam with 100% even though it had been 4/5 months since we taught him the alphabet!

Next was my BSL level 1, part 102 exam on Wednesday night. I conversed about my family and I hope I did well, I of course have thought if a few mistakes, but hopefully I did well enough to pass.

Finally, this morning, I attended an information session about starting my level 2 course, with a group of parents at Jordanstown School for the Deaf and Blind. This course is so important because it has been funded by DCAL, following campaigns by other parents, and includes a crèche, meaning I can study with the peace of mind that wonderful childcare provides. When collecting my kids from the crèche, I was told that the Princess was sleeping and then they asked me if I signed with her. When I confirmed that I did, one of the staff told me that she was signing a story book to my Princess, when she signed back to her - wow, I am so happy and proud of my little daughter, although she has a few signs that she uses at home, I have never seen or heard about her signing when hubby or I am not there. The sense of relief that she is able to manage her own communication needs is such a weight off my shoulders, the diagnosis of deafness is one thing, but the fear that the child will be isolated by a communication issue is a whole extra fear. We will continue to encourage sign, speech and listening skills in the hope that the more communication tools she can use, her frustrations will be lessened and she will have much more freedom in her life.

Today finished up with a Sound Friends Easter Party, at which the kids had a ball. It is so important that my hearing children feel comfortable with kids who use hearing technology and see that they can all have fun doing the same activities. Meanwhile, I was able to have conversation with other parents, chatting about my Princess and her needs, gaining tips and getting advice. I have found things very emotional and difficult recently and so it was comforting to be able to chat openly with friends who understand and won't judge what I say, but offer a listening ear and often can very accurately empathise with my situation.

Our family was so grateful on Friday to Little Oaks Preschool who held a "Wear it Loud" day to raise money for Sound Friends in our honour., they raised a wonderful £170! I couldn't do without the support of Sound Friends and so I will remind you I am raising money for them by abseiling down the Europa hotel in Belfast, you can sponsor me via JustGiving by clicking the link on my blog page. 

Goodnight everyone & thanks for reading,
Sara xx



No comments:

Post a Comment